Friday, March 20, 2009

Managing Our Emotions on a Daily Basis

As I sat in my office this morning and thought about what I wanted to write, I realized that for my thoughts to flow, I would need to take a moment to pray, think and then write. You might wonder what was so special about that?

On my 'Things to do list' this post should have been completed by 6:30 a.m. and it's now almost 8:30 a.m. Instead of being able to start writing at 6:15 a.m. I had to deal with issues with my Internet connection and while waiting for that to be resolved, worked on faxes and mail. The flow of thoughts I had were disturbed and it seems that while outwardly calm, negative emotions were creeping in. It was time to pray and ask for God's direction and peace...and I received it.

Why am I sharing this with you? Because you may have had something that disturbed your normal routine or just feeling out of sorts this morning or on any given day. You may have lost your motivation for the moment and it could affect your entire day if you let it. Do not allow that to happen! Fight the feeling to quit, even temporarily.

Those of us who are self-employed enjoy our flexibility but because we are our own boss we can give ourselves permission to put off what needs to be done 'because we don't feel well' or 'just don't feel up to it today.' If we worked for someone else, would we be allowed to have pity parties and not show up for work? It's essential to remember that managing our emotions is our responsibility. Not if, but when we feel overwhelmed, reach up! For me, I like to pray and I also have accountablity partners that I can reach out to.

As a small business owner, entrepreneur, solo-professional, what do you do when you feel overwhelmed or feel that you're losing your motivation? Please share your comments. We can learn from each other.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Yvonne,

    It's me again. Thank you for sharing that on your blog and for the openness. Many people in the professional arena express there reliance on God. With so much "Me Me Me" in the work place we wouldn't have any of these abilities without Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always great to read your thoughtful comments and observations, Marc. I do appreciate your feedback on my posts and I agree that we must recognize that our abilities to achieve anything come from God, without whom we can do nothing. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete